Thursday, August 26, 2010

Weekend Recap

Hello there blog world… long time no talk! I have actually had a very busy week. Last weekend I had an awesome trip to Raleigh (more on that is a minute) and have had a busy week in the office. My co-worker went on maternity leave last week, so running the wedding office minus one is busy! So like I said, I visited my sister and her posse in Raleigh over the weekend. As usual, it was an awesome weekend filled with food, wine, exercise and fun! First night had great pizza and vino while catching up. The next day was spent with running errands, and dilly-dallying around until we went to a restaurant that we had been anticipating all week… a Noodle and Dumpling Bar! Holy moly! I had been thinking about this meal all week… I looked over the menu determined what I would get and was so excited. Then we arrive to find the noodles weren’t handmade and they didn’t have vegetarian dumplings! WHAT! Talk about a letdown! In the end, I got some great Italian style dumplings (yes, my taste buds were so confused) and some lo mien. The place was decent, but nothing amazing. Then after a few more drinks with their Raleigh peeps, we called it a night because Jen and I had a run/ride in the morning.

So, the sister is training for like a million different races and triathlons, so Sunday was going to be her running day. Perfect, I brought my mountain bike so I could ride while she ran… and then after her run I would get my little 20 minutes jog in. Well about half way into the run/ride, my tummy started to growl… that little English muffin was long gone! So my tactic was to begin to try and make my sister forget that I was supposed to do a run too. The plan was to start taking about the food we were going to eat and what we were going to do after the run, in attempts to make her forgot. If we happened to forget about my run, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. So I tried to fill her head with Bojangles, Whole Foods, Skinny Dip, Trader Joes, oh my! Well darn if she didn’t forget my run… after she just ran for 2 hours! Damn. So I buck it up and we set out for my little walk/run. I am hesitant to call it a run because I am sure if the sister stopped running with me she would be walking as fast I as I “run”.

Well the first couple sets of running were fine and then my body started to revolt… the stomach was growling and rejecting the popcorn I just ate to hold me over, my legs were pissed because they just pedaled my ass for 2 hours, and the rest of my body was just angry at me. So needless to say, I was struggling! The tomato face was in full effect and the lungs were gasping for air. But I could not stop or complain because the sister just ran for freak 2 hours with no problem! A main reason I wanted to run with her was so she could help me with my running form. Well she gave me one look and said looked like I was running fine which I snapped back Well why do my shins still hurt!?!?!?! Opps, running doesn’t put me in a good mood, yet, sorry. So after a few pointers, my shins don’t hurt and I am actually moving faster (More on the running improvements later) Bless her heart she tried to distract me by talking about our costumes for the 10k… but I just wasn’t having it. Had to conserve the air for my lungs… no talking! Oy vey, how am I going to run a 10k in two months! Well, I ended up finishing the run in once piece and after owning a Bojangles biscuit and Gatorade, I was feeling much better. I know I have a long way to go… but gotta start somewhere right?

The weekend ended with some great grilling and relaxing and I left in the morning. I can't wait til I go back because Raleigh is way cooler than this place with way cooler people in it. So planning a little trip in October for an organized bike ride… so the countdown begins!

No comments: