Wednesday, August 11, 2010

In a moment of insanity...

So a few weeks ago, after visiting my sister in NC, I became super motivated to get back into riding my bike and working out. Earlier this year, I had the same spurt of motivation and actually managed to lose 20 pounds, but after a few months, I began slacking. It was a mixture of being peak wedding season and school taking priority, but the idea of working out was the last thing on my mind. So after my visit, I was super motivated to get back on track. Well to start off my new found motivation I decided to go on a nice long bike ride. 20 miles later, I was feeling amazing! So, I get home, endorphins pumping, feeling good and I did something I thought I never would do...

I signed up for a 10k!


What?! I have never ever been a runner. I played lots of sports that involved running through high school like field hockey and soccer... but you know what position I played? GOALIE! The one position that rarely ran. And when I did run it was short sprints. My sister was always the long distance runner and I envied her for that, but never had the urge to run. I tried a few times to get into it, but was instantly discouraged and stopped. Well during my visit to NC, I had talked with my sister about signing up for the Wicked 10k where you get to dress up in costume and run a race. How awesome?! Well I don't think she actually thought I would sign up for it. (I didn't think I would either!) And after my amazing bike ride (keyword I was riding a bike, not running) I signed up for the 10k. Then I woke up the next morning and realized... now I have to run a 10k. Uh oh.

So now my journey to becoming a runner has officially begun. I definitely have a new perspective on running... a positive outlook. I think the major difference in my past attempts at running and my present attempt is that I have a goal I am working towards. I have come up with a plan, which combines the Couch to 5k program and another program for a 10k. After a couple weeks of training, things are definitely progressing. Still doing a run/walk combination, but my endurance is definitely picking up. Plus, I have the cutest training partner... no not Zac Efron... Lexi!

No comments: