Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Road Bike Shopping Part I

So I began my road bike shopping and researching this week. I have visited three bike shops, but I will begin my journey with the third one I visited.

I got my lovely mountain bike from Conte's and I was extremely happy with the help I received when buying that. I returned because I knew they had a giant selection of bikes. So I go in with my Mom to take a gander at their selection and walked out with a ton of information! We walked in an were instantly greeted by someone and he began to answer some of my questions and gave me lots of information about group rides. He began to show me a couple bikes and then brought on another sales person to continue to help us. The second salesperson began to tell us about the two different bikes, both were Specialized Dolce, one was around $900 and the other was well over $1,000. A touch over my budget, but it was worth looking at. After giving us more information he brought over the fitter, Danny, to get me on the bike to test out. Danny actually sold me my mountain bike, so I knew he would be super helpful. Then the second guy had some parting words for me "Don't ride the expensive bike, you are going to want it if you get on it." In my head, I'm thinking, no worries.. I'll be fine... I know my budget and I am definitely going to stay within it! Well Danny set up the more expensive bike on the trainers for me, only because the cheaper bike was too small for me, so he wanted to make sure he could fit me properly. So he sets the bike up and answers all of my questions along the way. And then I get on the bike. and fell. in. love. Uh oh.

I just did a badddd thing. I test drove the BMW when I am on a Hyundai budget. Of course I am going to want the BMW! It has better parts, looks better and feels so gooood! The only thing the cheaper one has going for it is that it comes in purple.

The whole time Mom just shook her head and said I told you not to get on that bike! (Well she said that after we left the store... I do not remember these objections while I was in the store!). So I ended up leaving so I could research these two bikes and determine if I should go ahead and bite the bullet and get the bike I really want. Walking out of the store I thought... I don't need textbooks this fall... I don't need to eat for the next month... Lexi can get a job... I can make it work.

I still have a many more bikes to test ride and lots of research ahead of me before I make my decision, but I really like the Specialized and it is definitely on the list.


No comments: