Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Paying Rent for the Year...

In December, I did something that was quite surprising to the Parentals… I took them out to a nice dinner. I am what some would call a tight wade (I prefer poor grad student/non-profit worker), so the rare occasion I treat my parents to Mexican or Dominos… they are shocked. Well with our three-year anniversary of me moving in with them sometime in December 2010 (ask my Dad, he knows the exact date I moved back in) I wanted to treat them to something fancy to show my appreciation.

I have pretty much the best parents ever… you can try to debate me on this, but you would lose. They have always supported me no matter what… even when I changed my major numerous times (only three official times, thank you!)… even when I said I am going to major in art and art history... even when I wanted to study theater and literature in London... even when I called from the SPCA begging to bring home the cutest little dog ever… even when I asked to move home with that little dog after graduation until I could find a job... they supported me wholeheartedly (even if they were cringing on the inside!).

Well it took about 6ish months to find a job out of college and of course, I wanted to work at a non-profit, which I quickly learned does not pay well and could not afford rent in the area. They still let me stay. Then I came to them and said “I am going to get my Masters degree!” They asked in what… I said Public Administration (I want to save the world!) and later changed to Education (Okay, I’ll just save the children!). Like I said, they are veryyyyy supportive!

Fast forward, it has now been three years that I have been occupying the future movie room aka the room over the garage. I figured it was about time I at least took them out to dinner… that’s worth three years of rent right?

So I surprised Mom and Dad (well had to tell him beforehand so he could drive) by taking them to dinner at 456 Fish in Norfolk. This place is seriously the bomb and thought it would be a perfect place to show my appreciation for putting up with my (and Lexi's) crap for the past three years. The food was seriously amazing… calamari with a basil dipping sauce… lobster hush puppies… and that was just appetizers! Dinner was even better with fresh fish and delicious accompaniments.

While the food was amazing, it was really about wining and dining the parents... take them out to a nice dinner to say thanks. Seriously, they are the amazing and I am so lucky they are my parents. Be jealous, they rock.

No comments: