Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Watching my Weight...

This time last year, I made a huge stride to get control of my health… I joined Weight Watchers. I was spiraling out of control, gaining weight rapidly and it was only at my Grandpa’s funeral that I recognized what I was doing to my body. After I returned home from his funeral, I immediately made a promise to myself to get my weight under control, so I could have a chance at living a great long life, like he did. In the past, I had attempted many different diets to lose those pesky pounds, but nothing ever worked. I decided to join WW as a way to keep track of my food and keep it under control. Many times I would tell people I was on WW and they would say, “But you’re so young” or “You’re not that big”. But I decided to ignore those people (haters!) and keep on with what I felt would help me. Now that I am about a year into the program, I have lost about 28 pounds and counting. Woot woot!
Look at that decline... so pretty!

Looking back at my old eating habits… and putting it into the Points Calculator to see the equivalent… it is astonishing that I was not even worse off! Back in high school, I could polish off a whole box of macaroni and cheese (ah the good ole’ days). Given at the time I was playing soccer, field hockey and swimming… and a teenager, so calories burned off quicker than I could take them in. But after high school, my love of cheese continued and manifested into a love of Mexican food (who am I kidding, I have always loved Mexican food!). In the past couple years, I could easily down an entire Moe’s nachos… you don’t even want to know how many calories that is. Ouch.

Which brought me to WW. My view of food has changed and I have learned how to enjoy the foods I like without popping buttons off my pants. I still love my burritos, but now I take off the sour cream and cheese. I still love my nachos, but now I make them at home so I can control the calories. Don’t get me wrong… I still splurge (you gotta live right?). But I am now more aware of the food I eat and am conscious of the crap that is in a lot of food.

I decided to do the online version, which is perfect for my lifestyle (I’m too lazy to go to a meeting once a week). I still feel accountable because I am paying for it every month, so motivation is not an issue with me. I will definitely forever be a little spokesperson for WW and endorsing it for anyone trying to lose weight. It is seriously an awesome program to help with weight loss and healthy eating. Go Weight Watchers!!

Now I am going to go watch the Biggest Loser and eat some ice cream... it's WW ice cream, only 3 points... give me a break!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So proud of you!! But I seriously love that nacho pic!